Our family has finally returned from our weeklong vacation. Overall excitement to be back is a total understatement at this point. I never would have imagined that kids could actually get sick of swimming!! Yes, it is true...sick of swimming. As you have read the posts before this, we headed out to Page, Arizona to attend our Aunt Chris' wedding. Dave had to work the following week in Phoenix, Arizona, so I came up with the plan to head down to Phoenix with him. He travels so much, that the Hilton usually puts him up in a really nice place. So...stay home with nothing to do, or drive down with him to enjoy some water and sun. The decision was easy for me.
After the wedding, we jumped in the car and made the seven hour drive to Phoenix. Little did I know that the rest of the nation seemed to be doing the same. The drive into the city was hurrendous!! The seven hour car trip actually took nine. However, we finally arrived at our destination..Hilton Squaw Peak Resort in Phoenix. The room we stayed in was not your typical room, it was actually a Casita. There were two levels, a full kitchen, kitchenette area, and sitting area with a couch, loveseat, and TV. Comfy was the name of the game. It was so nice to be able to watch TV downstairs at night, and the kids could watch the Disney Channel upstairs. Brett was able to take naps everyday without a complaint that he was missing anything, since he could be upstairs alone in the bedrooms. The kids enjoyed the private pool that was right outside our door, and also the waterpark that was a few hundred yards outside our door. I can tell you that I enjoyed the lazy river far too much. Brett just swam around and around in the lazy river with his lifejacket on. He told everyone that he wanted to "swim with himself", which meant he had to do it all by himself. I just followed.
I have to tell you that 110 degree weather is HOT!! Things like pavement, outdoor furniture, and walkways are so hot they can literally burn your skin. Not just hurt a little, but burn your skin. We had to stay wet constantly in order not to overheat. After four days of this, the kids said they were bored. WHAT? Bored? How could you be bored with a waterpark at your disposal, and a private pool if the waterpark was a little too crowded at the time? I didn't get it, and I still don't. I could have stayed forever. I think I forgot how to cook that week. It was great..no making beds, cooking, cleaning..the life. However all vacations have to come to an end.
The drive home had to be broken up a bit, so we stopped in Durango, CO. Our room there overlooked the river that runs through town, so we took a vote and stayed an extra night there. I am so glad that we decided to stay. For dinner that night, we went to the Bar D Chuckwagon for a dinner show. For anyone that has not done this, I highly recommend it. It is a cowboy western singing show. It is fabulous, and almost brings me to tears everytime I see it. We have seen the Bar D Wranglers in Durango twice, and the Bar J Wranglers in Jackson Hole twice. I always leave with tears streaming down my face because I have laughed so hard at their show.
Our trip went so smoothly, I couldn't have asked for more. The kids all got along for the week without much squabbling, which is a miracle. Ha ha. Brett did great with his food allergies. No Epi-Pens or Benadryl this trip. Our only hiccup during the trip was during our return from Phoenix to Durango. Zack got carsick, and threw up about eight times. There is even a picture in the slide show of him puking at the Four Corners Monument. How many people can say that they have puked in Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico all at the same time? I had to snap the picture.
We had a great time, but we are all glad to back at Home Sweet Home!! Our beds never felt so good!! Enjoy the slideshow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Okay, I want o go on vacation with you guys next time! I think I could have handled the Casita! Looks like so much fun! I have wanted to to the Bar D Dinner show but have not gotten around to it! Will have to put it on the for sure, must do list! Glad you are back!
Post a Comment